Sunday, July 18, 2010

DETOX DAY 16-19

Well, the last couple of days has been very uneventful when it comes to my detox.  I'm eating basically the same things and doing the same exercise with the exception of water aerobics that I'm taking Saturday mornings.  I'm the youngest one there.  :)  I cannot believe that I'm almost done.  Just 2 more days and I'm done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been researching healthy recipes for my post-detox days.  I'm going to stretch this out as long as I can.  There are so many websites out there which is good and bad all at the same time.  Once I settle one on, I will let you know!  

Yesterday, I made my own chicken broth from a chicken carcass.  After draining out all the bones, I cut up carrots, zucchinis, tomatoes, onions, and kale and threw it all in.  It was delicious!  I really love homemade chicken broth.  It taste so much better than store bought, even if it says "organic." All you have to do is:

  • Put the carcass in a pot and cover it with water.  
  • Add a bit of thyme and a couple of bay leaves.  
  • Cut up a whole onion and add a couple cups of carrots.
  • Let it cook/simmer for as long as you can (I let it simmer for about 5 hours).  
  • Drain out everything (bones, veggies).  Let it cool and refrigerate overnight.  
  • Next day, take brother out of fridge and scrap off the fat that's floating at the top.  
  • Add veggies and bring broth to a boil.  Then it's ready for you to enjoy!  Season with salt and pepper to your preference.
In case you're wondering where I got the carcass, I bought three rotisserie chicken, cut off the meat and saved them to use for my salad or you can also add it back to your soup.  For $6 per chicken, you get a few days or even a week's worth of meat for sandwiches or salads, plus several cups of homemade broth.  Not too shabby.  

3 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

Mmmm...I haven't made broth in a while, but isn't it good? I had been buying the organic broth not because I buy everything organic but because I was trying to avoid all the additives. It was so nice to learn how to make my own. Isn't it yummy? If you freeze some, it is a great for hydration if you ever have the flu. I use it when the kids are sick.

I recently realized I could make a richer broth by leaving it in the crockpot on low for a couple days. Yum. :)

Gracie said...

It is yummy!!!! I want to try doing it in the crockpot later. I didn't realize it would take so much time to get all the flavors out!

Anonymous said...

you keep your brother in the fridge then scrape off his fat?!?!?!