Monday, March 02, 2009

REDDING, CA

Well, I'm currently sitting up front at the office being the receptionist for the next 30 minutes. I figured that I should use my time wisely and update my blog like I've said I would. :)

A week ago, my friend Sylvia along with her mom, Susan, drove up to Redding, CA to attend a church up there called Bethel (www.ibethel.org). We stopped in Bakersfield on Thursday night and stayed with the Browns to help break up the trip and left Friday morning for our drive to Redding.

We've decided to head up there after Sylvia returned from her trip to Virginia. One night we were sitting on my couch and she said that she wants to go to Bethel before she makes her permanent move out to Virginia. I couldn't believe what I was hearing because during the two weeks that she was gone, I had this overwhelming feeling to make a take a road trip to Bethel and I was to do it with her. It was a feeling that I couldn't shake away. I didn't know how to bring it up due to circumstances (limited available dates, finances, etc...). But when we both mentioned it, we knew that we needed to make a trip up there. So, we did! AND we had a BLAST!

We often hear that God works in mysterious ways. He definitely worked and imparted to each of us gifts, wisdom, blessings and so much more during our short time up there. We were each touched by different ways and left feeling refreshed, renewed and ready to take on the next step of our journey!

If God called me to move up there just to be part of this church, I can honestly say that I am willing to pack up all my belongings and leave everything behind and go. Now, I'm just waiting for Him to give me permission to move. When He does, you better believe that I will be out of here in no time! (Ok...I realize there's all these logistical things that comes with it and all, so, once that is all settled, I will waste no time in getting in my car and driving up there.)

I'm ready for a change, even though I don't handle changes very well. But I'm ready. He's prepared me for this season for awhile now and is continuing to do so. I know because my whole life has changed. Friends that I've been friends with for years and shared everything with has been cut out of my life. Other things are just coming to the end of their chapter. Sad? Yes and no. I feel quite relieved actually. I call it "peace that surpasses all understanding." :)

4 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

So are they hiring a front desk receptionist at Bethel?

Just kidding. :)

So how did you find out about a church so far away from you? Did they host a conference or something? I will have to look at their website. I have never heard of them before.

Gracie said...

I wish they were hiring a front desk receptionist. I actually might take up on that! :)

People went to conference that they've had, so I started listening to the podcast and read most of Bill Johnson and Kris Vallatoon's books. SO GOOD!!!!!!!!

So, now I'm a fan. Wish they were a lot closer. But I don't mind moving up there either. People are much nicer and less self-focus the more north we go from Orange County. :)

Kristie said...

Interesting. I just figured out where I've heard of this church. My friend Misti, who I used to teach with here, was talking about maybe moving there this summer for very similar reasons. I haven't talked to her since last spring and I keep wondering if she did it.... Anyway, I'll have to check it out. I agree that northern California is probably "nicer" than southern! =)

Gracie said...

Kristie: Please let me know if your friend ended up moving up there or not. I may be taking another trip up there in April. :)