"More Love to Thee, O Christ"
(Words: Elizabeth P. Prentiss, 1856; Music: W. Howa)
More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea:
More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!
Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;
Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best.
This all my prayer shall be:
More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!
Let sorrow do its work, come grief or pain;
Sweet are Thy messengers, sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me:
More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!
Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise;
This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
This still its prayer shall be:
More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!
This morning, the pastor shared this hymn with us. Then the band came up and played the song. The words and music stuck with me and I wanted to share it with you. I love hymns because each has a story. To learn more about the story behind this hymn, please click here. Fernando Ortego does a beautiful rendition of this with just his voice and piano. It's so beautiful! If you have iTunes, you can download the song for 0.99 cents! If you don't have iTunes, I'm not sure how to help you, but encourage you to download the program. :) You can do that by going here. I love this program, better than Real Player or Window Media Player. I can buy music for less than it would cost me in the store and I can buy shows as well. I download the whole season 1 of The Office for way less than buying the DVD at the store. It's amazing! Anyway...
Do you have a favorite hymn? What's the story behind it? Please share!
1 comment:
Yes, this is a great one. I have many favorites-- how could I ever choose? (It is Well With My Soul, My Jesus I Love Thee, How Great Thou Art, Great Is Thy Faithfulness, Be Thou My Vision, Amazing Grace, Be Still My Soul....OH, and my favorite song in 1st grade was To God Be the Glory...)
I'm actually listening to Selah's Greatest Hymns cd right now. If you haven't heard it, I recommend it. Beautiful renditions of some excellent hymns.
Post a Comment