Monday, February 20, 2006

Risk or no risk?

How do you know what is God's will for your life? Lately, I've been trying to figure that out. I guess you get to that point when you are unemployed and looking for a job. But, really, HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Okay, here's my scenario: So, I've been offered a job by a friend at a construction company. She actually pursued me right before I left for Taiwan and waited till I returned. For the last week or two, I came to a point where I thought that this was the job that I'm going to take. The part that excites me the most about this job was the learning portion. I love learning new things especially when it's hands on and working with my friend would be a lot of fun. Construction isn't really my type, but I'm up for the challenge!

Anyway, up until the middle of last week, I was totally pursuing this job. I've met with the "boss" and he was really impressed with me. My friend sent me stuff that I needed to complete in order to be hired. Well, then, Wednesday came. Basically, another opportunity came up. Except this one I actually have to apply for it and wait and see if they will hire me. The job hasn't been posted yet, so I'm not sure when they will start taking applications and how long it will take for them to hire.

So, now I'm stuck. I stand between the security/comfortability of having a job and the risk of going for a job that I have absolutely no clue if I will even get!

I feel this "tug" at my heart to take the riskier road. I mean, life is full of risks, so why not? This "tug" I'm feeling is the same "tug" that I've felt when working for UP and felt that I needed to leave (which I ignored and ultimately God had to pull me out, literally). I've never been in this position before where I had to pick between the riskier road over security. God has always provided the "next step" in my life.

In the last couple of years, I've learned a lot from friends who has taken the riskier road and saw how God blessed them and continues to provide whether they succeeded or failed. God is so constant. That's the amazing part of it all. That is very comforting. But when you are in the position, it is so hard to realize that, you know? So, I just want to say "Well done" to those who took the riskier road. "Thank you" for your examples. You do not know how much it means to me right now. It brings me a lot of comfort.

So, at this point in my life, would you please pray for me? It's such a wild journey and your prayers will do wonders!

Once again, I appreciate you guys so much!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I hate to encourage a person to "have their cake and eat it, too," so to speak, but can you take that job temporarily and reevaluate at 90 days, and then know more about the job you think you want by that time? Or is that not what they are wanting from you?

I mean, who doesn't have a piece of cake and actually eat it?

Anonymous said...

praying for you, gracie bob... let me know how it goes...

Anonymous said...

Gracie,
We will be praying for you! I totally concur with what abroller said above regarding faith. Love you!

Anonymous said...

my blog is www.xanga.com/skinnyabroller

hope that link works!

Anonymous said...

Ask for a deadline. Let them know you are looking for a job and that you really want to work for that company, but you need an ETA. Most places will actually give you one. Just make sure they know you really want to work there, but that you also really need to be working. Go with the one that sounds the most exciting. Hey, if you ask for a deadline, they will know you're a good worker!