Since I have a lot of time on my hands these days, I've been reading a whole lot! It's so nice to have the time to devote to things that challenges your mind. Well, not all these books are challenging, but they are sure fun and interesting. If you've read any of these books, I would love to hear from you and know what you thought of them!
1. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
3. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
4. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
5. The Prayer That Changes Everything by Stormie Omartian
The next book that I will be starting is:
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
If you have any recommendations, please let me know!
7 comments:
My current reccomendations are inspired by the kiddos. I have discovered a love for good children's literature that I never expected. If you want one that thinks, try The Little Prince. If you want a good laugh, The Complete Stories of Winnie the Pooh are good.
If you want books for grownups, I will have to think a bit harder. Hehe...
Hey Grace,
Well, I haven't read any of the others, though I'd love to hear about the Life of Pi since I've been thinking about reading it. (I've read other of Stormie Omartian's prayer books and liked them, and enjoyed the bits of Memoirs of a Geisha that I read with one student.) But, I have to say The Secret Life of Bees was not my favorite. I had to read it just before school started in Sept. because it was summer reading for one of the students I tutor. His mom highly recommended it to me (why if she'd read it she didn't just go over it with him, I don't know).
I thought is was a semi-interesting story, but I felt it was a bit too contrived and overly dramatic. I just really couldn't see this ever happening, which I love in fantasy, but not in this sort of novel. Let me know what you think when you're done. :)
Oh, Brandy, one of my favorite kids books...maybe for a wee bit older, but I don't remember... was George MacDonald's "At the Back of the North Wind." I could read that book 100 time and not get bored.
My favorite books lately, recomended by Dana...Joey Pigza swallowed a key, loses control, and one other I forgot the name. These are Newberry Honored or Winners and I must say I was cracking up reading them. The author Jack Gantos uses the most amazing and hilarious imagery, especially if you have ever dealt with children like Joey Pigza. Not exactly books that will encourage a stronger relationship with Christ, but still good reads. I have kids that act just like Joey from putting glue stick on as chapstick to cartwheels in the classroom, so if you get a chance, give him a try. Wow, I'm wordy tonight =)
TO ALL THE READERS: Read THE RED TENT! It's the story of Dinah, Jacob's daughter.
(Disclaimer: Just because I liked it, doesn't mean you will. So, I don't want to hear any blames!)
Brandy: Hey, do you think Everett will let me borrow his Winnie the Pooh? =) As for The Little Prince, I read that in H.S. for French class. I think it just ruined it for me. We would dissect every word to the point, I was just so sick of it! But maybe if I read it in English, it would be different. =)
Rahime: Life of Pi is a must read! The author is very clever in this story. It's great. I do have to admit that I wasn't all that impressed with it until after the book. The more I thought about it, the more I appreciated the author and his cleverness and storytelling. And that is why I love it. You should read it and let me know what you think.
As for The Secret Life of Bees. I'll let you know after reading it. It wasn't really a choice of mine, but I thought I should read it since it's a bestseller. =)
Kim: The books sounds fun! Do you have them? Maybe I can borrow them over the summer? =)
Oh, I've missed you guys! Thanks for participating. It makes me feel closer to all of you!
Grace--I told you I might think a bit more and give you "grownup" books. Here are three books on my list that I want to read. I believe they are all hard to find and not bestsellers at all, but worth the read...
1. Henry and the Great Society by H.L. Roush
2. The Light Princess by George Macdonald
3. The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler
This is where I hope to be headed in my future book purchases...
The Light Princess is great. I'd second that one.
I don't know what happened to my copy....probably in a box somewhere waiting for a bookshelf.
:)
So many books, so little time! If you are interested in Victorian Lit., I recommend books by Anthony Trollope, an author who often gets overlooked and stands in the shadow of other greats, like Charles Dickens (whom I also recommend). However, if you are looking for an entertaining, fun read, I usually enjoy books by Francine Rivers (despite the proliferation of braids....) and the Thoenes. Also, "These Is My Words," is a fabulous book that was written by an Arizona native. It takes place in my old neck of the woods and is autobiographical. It's fantastic. It's a survival story of a woman trying to make it in the old west (1800's). My cup of tea! =)
Post a Comment