Friday, January 20, 2006

Do you ever wonder why....

Asians are such bad drivers (at least those from Taiwan)? Simply put... They can't drive! There are way too many cars, motorcycles, buses on the road, so you have to fight your way. This means:

1. Red light is basically like a stop sign.
2. If there are no oncoming traffic, you can use their lane.
3. Pedestrians DON'T have the right of way. The bigger the car, the better off you'll be. Trust me. A few times I thought I was going get run over...by a bike! The kind that you have to pedal!
4. Lanes = NO lanes or What lanes? There are lanes?
5. People on motorcycles are crazy! And when there are a ton of them together, it's even crazier! They look like swarm of ants.
6. There are places with cameras and radars that will actually catch you when you speed, but other than that, you basically do whatever you want.

One thing that I've realized that they actually know how to do is PARALLEL PARK IN TINY SPOTS! It's a must if you have a car. There are actually way too many cars and not enough parking. So when you find one, it's usually inbetween cars and bikes. Sometimes you don't even find one and you just park illegally. Sundays are the best days to park illegally because the cops are off duty.

Anyway, I think those are a few reasons why Asians can't drive when they get to a place that's actually has rules, laws and wide roads. With all these, they are at a loss and don't know what to do so they like to drive like a maniac, inbetween lanes, cut people off, etc. to make it feel like home.

I've also heard once on the radio that Asians can't drive because we have smaller eyes! Ummm...I've never really found that a problem.

Hope you enjoyed this little observation I've made. Now, you know why Asians have such a bad reputation! I hope I'm not one of them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gracie my friend! I love this blog business. It's so exciting to hear about your time in Taiwan, right from my living room in Minnesota. I'm so glad that you're having fun with family, visiting China (wow!), eating great food, resting and learning a lot. Work is keeping me crazy busy, but the payoff is a trip to Africa in just about 4 weeks. A team of 10 of us are going to Congo, Rwanda and Kenya for about 12 days. If you can do squatty potties in China, I think I can handle whatever mother Africa throws at me :) I am SO excited. I hope you have a terrific time for the rest of your visit. I want to hear all about it on the phone when you get back home! Love you Gracie! Sarah