Tuesday, February 09, 2010

MEDIOCRE.

Conversation between me and the guest speaker in class last week:

Guest Speaker (GS): First, do not EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER go into partnership (in business) with someone. It will ruin you. It's worse than marriage. Second, if you can help it, do not work for a non-profit.

Me: (laughing and my friends around me patting me on the shoulder).

GS: Oh, I mean, I'm sure you work for a great non-profit.

Me: (laughing, giggling, shaking my head because I UNDERSTAND where he's coming from).

GS: (not exact word for word, but almost exact) I'm saying that non-profits, especially Christian ones, really suck at treating their employees well. They have the concept of "Because this is for the Lord," they think they can pay them less than what they deserve and work them till they are barely breathing. That's the mentality of all employees in a non-profit company. The reality is that God wants the best and hires the best. So, pay someone what they deserve so that they can do the best. Non-profits needs to stop hiring mediocre people.

Me: (nodding and totally agreeing with him. Friends around me whispering in my ear that you're not mediocre because a mediocre person wouldn't be in a MBA program. I heart my friends!)

GS: (seeing that he just struck a chord with me and feeling bad for inserting his foot in mouth contiues with this...) Well, it's not like you sit in a cubicle and all you do is accounting!

EVERYONE bursted out in laughter.

He's totally right...sadly enough. I am vowing to myself that I am not going to be that MEDIOCRE person at work. Two years till I'm done with school and I will be off to bigger and better things!

2 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

That is hilarious!

Dominic and Kimberly said...

From Dominic -- I understand what the guy was trying to say...but his presentation was 'mediocre'. A better answer to the situation is...put your heart and soul into what you do, do it as unto the Lord, and change the culture of your non-profit environment by demanding excellence from yourself and those around you.